Monday, March 2, 2009

Coupon queen

I've always been unreasonably proud of just how much I can save at the grocery store with coupons and paying attention to sales (most weeks, it's around $50 in savings), but I recently ran across a blog by a woman who makes me look like quite the amateur when it comes to saving money. Her blog is http://www.sherrimccann.com/ and she offers coupon classes. She lives nearby, but not near enough for me to make the trek to the next county for her class. So, I got her class in booklet form through the mail last week and I put it into action this week. Today, I spent just over $10 at Walgreens (I went twice) and actually got almost $40 in groceries. In fact, after work I got Dawn dishwashing soap, 2 bars of Yardley oatmeal/honey soap (my favorite!), Colgate toothpaste, 24 cans of Pepsi (my poor misguided son has been led astray into the land of Pepsi by his Grandma! Other than them, we are totally a Coke family!) and 24 bottles of Zephryhills spring water...for $1.32! AND I got $3.00 in "Register Rewards" back on the Pepsi to spend on my next visit there, so it's sort of like they paid me $1.68 to get the groceries. John thought it was so cool that I got all that stuff for close to nothing. I'm also shopping at CVS (saved $12 there today, everything I bought came with "bonus bucks" equal to what I spent that can be used like cash in the store on anything so I essentially got double product for my $) and my usual Publix. Now I'm really hyped up about saving money at the grocery store, I can't wait until the sale ads come out on Wednesday. I know it's not the most exciting thing in the world, but it thrills me to find the good sales and save money (or even get things for close to nothing.) :)

3 comments:

  1. I bow to you o coupon queen!
    You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I thought *I* was a coupon queen...you've got me beat by a mile! I did the Grocery Game for a while, and REALLY was able to get the deals. It does take some time & effort, but in the end, it's totally worth it. Plus, I would get lots of toiletry items for free, or less than 25 cents, and toss them in a bag. When the bag was full, I took it to the local women's shelter. They were extremely happy to see me coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet to post about me!! So glad that you are using my tips!! I will be checking YOUR blog now to get tips too!

    ReplyDelete