Saturday, August 29, 2009

Autumn is approaching


As the title of this entry says, I'm afraid that summer is on it's way out and autumn is just around the corner. That's not totally bad news, we're all back to school/work and getting back into the whole getting up early, doing homework, etc rhythm of things. But, the very best part of autumn arriving- football season! The first game of my alma mater, the University of South Florida is next Saturday and I can't wait to watch it. The football team at Joey's school (it's a kindergarten through 12th grade school, so kids of all ages come to the football games but only the high schoolers actually play) started their season with a win last night. I've convinced John and Joey to give up their regular Friday boys nights out at the gun range when there's a home game at Joey's school, so we'll get to go to 4 or 5 of the games. Joey is hoping to help with the filming of the games (so the players can make highlight films to send to colleges), partly so he can avoid sitting with me during the game- I get really, really involved and tend to scream...a lot...when our team is doing well. I can't help it, I love watching football.
Another cool thing that I've been enjoying lately is that I've reconnected with three of my best friends from high school (Doug, Wojo and Dianne) on Facebook. I've been talking to them on Facebook a couple times a week, and last week I posted some pictures of our graduation (in 1987!) there and everyone chatted about them for most of the evening. We were working on getting together at a dinner at Capogna's Dugout hosted by the class after ours (CHS '88), but it's the same day that I'm having my parathyroid surgery next week so I had to decline. We might go next month instead, it sounds like many of the class of 88 folks have dinner at Capogna's every month and don't mind of other classes join them.
Joey is doing well at school, so far the homework load in 7th grade is much lower than it was last year. He's working on the school TV news show as one of his classes. He's the only middle schooler there, everyone else is a high school student. He says that he runs all three cameras during the live show, I'm not sure how that works but he seems to really enjoy it.
I'll probably be back to post another entry after my surgery on Thursday, I have five days off of work to recouperate so I'll have plenty of Internet time- yay, that beats working any day!

3 comments:

  1. Other than football starting, how do you know it's Fall in Florida???
    Believe me, it's perfect weather here as we slide into September. This past weekend has been pure Fall. Is David working with the teams this year again?
    Good luck on Thurs. We'll be thinking of you. Be well.
    It sounds as if many good times are to be had on upcoming Friday nights.
    How cool to have your high school gang back in touch!
    Take care now...enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be thinking of you this week...please keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't praise the reconnection with friends enough. Facebook has been, pardon the cheesiness of this comment, the best thing since sliced bread for my life. Then, toss in the fact that my first and only date of high school has found me thanks to my blog. Yea! Catching up with friends is da'bomb!!

    It is so cool about Joey and the school news! How exciting is that!?

    ReplyDelete